Charlemagne is antsy and I will probably be working extra hours from now until election day, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that this post will be the last until Nov. 6. Unless it isn't.
As always, I guarantee nothing.
- Yay, science!
- Yay, Mexico!
- Yay, Russia!
- Every day I discover that the world is richer than I thought it was, and everyone around me talks about how everything is going to pot. Sure, some things are less than perfect, but here is a source of knowledge and communication undreamed of thirty years ago and this guy is complaining that it isn't quite as perfect as some ideal thing he made up in his head.
- Wash your brain with this silly video.
- For all the crap I give the traditional media, sometimes they really do get it right. Here is Reason magazine doing exactly the right thing in the face of criticism.
- This is the banal evil that religion brings into our world. Warning: this story is not happy.
- Somehow, the least violent, most kind-hearted, pro-progress, pro-American religion around today is the most vilified (well, second most after Scientology, but they have it coming) creed in the nation today. You may say that certain liberal forms of Protestantism are more kind and fluffy, but those are really just Christianity with the nasty parts ignored. "As God now is, man may be". I really am having a hard time coming up with a more pro-human statement from any author this side of Ayn Rand.
- While we are on the topic, as batshit as Rand was, when theists ask me how there can be purpose in life without God, I give them this (well typically I just curl up and mumble because I don't like in person confrontation, but I think this really hard):
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."
- Ayn RandBad People:
- Government Thugs punish a man for beautifying his neighborhood. Seriously, people, Objectivist literature is mostly crap because it deals in obvious caricatures and the villains are clearly marked by the fact that they do things people don't actually do.
- Government Thugs defend established corporations against the hideous scourge of competition, to the perpetual detriment of honest, hard-working Americans. If only the Democrats were in power, the would put a stop to this naked corporatism. Oh, wait...
- For the sake of balance, let me note that it is not only government thugs who promote evil...
- But that guy can't actually hurt anyone. This guy used the coercive power of our government to hurt innocents.
- This is fun, if you have a whole lot of time. Every James Bond theme song and a discussion of the relative merits of the song and the attached movie.