- Good News: I have a ship! Well, I don't actually have it, but I will be going to work on the ship! Sure, they guarantee employment somewhere, but actually having a place to go after August 15th sure feels a lot better than a vague promise made by people who visibly don't care about my welfare.
- Good News: It is a good ship! Bulk Carrier Sam Laud on the Great Lakes carries iron, limestone, coal, and similar cargo in the US and Canada on the lakes. Update: Still no shipping orders, but my reporting date is next Monday, Aug 18th.
- Good News: The person shipping with me to the Sam Laud is the single best person in class; personable, competent, hard working, and sharing similar interests. I really could not have hoped for better luck. Update: He got transferred to another ship. I will be the only one from my class on the Sam Laud. Oh well.
- Good News: I have a test tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday, all of which I must pass to get on this ship, but I did just fine on all the practice exams and am not worried at all.
- Good News: We had a fantastic rainstorm today, it just came straight down hard for a few hours.
- Good News: Bulkers have long shore leave, so when we stop I will have (schedule permitting) time to enjoy myself in some quality cities. Also, it will be autumn, so the coastline will be all pretty. If we have an early winter, I may get to see the lakes freeze :)
- Bad News: Morning inspection ran long on the other floors, so by the time I got downstairs all the pancakes had been eaten this morning.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Good News and Bad News from Piney Point
Just as the title says, I have good news and bad news.